Saturday, March 1, 2014

In the Kitchen: Blueberry Muffins

Today started March and with the start of the month comes checking your bills and planning/budgeting the next four weeks of your life and so on. Well today after doing all the responsible adult things on my to do list I was able to relax this afternoon by making a new recipe for me, my mom's: blueberry muffins. She's made ever since I can remember. It's kind of funny how when you make recipes the first time and they're such cherished memories that they really become yours and you own them. Well before I have a flashback segment to the 90's in the house I grew up here's the recipe for these delicious muffins that make a perfect recipe for you repertoire.


INGREDIENTS
- 1 3/4 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup of Fresh or Frozen Blueberries



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease six 3" by 1 1/2" muffin pan cups. In bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

2. With pastry blender or 2 knives used in a scissor fashion (I used a pastry blender), cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.

3. In a small bowl , beat egg, milk, lemon zest, and vanilla extract until blended.

4. Stir in egg mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold blueberries into the batter. Spoon the batter into the muffin-pan cups. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center and comes out clean. Remove muffins and serve warm for best results. Muffins will keep for up to a week when wrapped in cellophane and stored in an air tight container. I suggest you reheat this delicious muffin for full enjoyment.

Let me know if you make them! I'd love to hear back from you all. mine are here to the right. I think besides a tea they are a perfect on the go breakfast and like all my recipes best paired with good friends and conversation. Until the next time I'm hanging my apron up, blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment